Legal Details

Planning a wedding can be overwhelming, and legal documents are probably the furthest thing from a bride and groom’s minds. There are flower arrangements to be picked, guests to invite and cake tastings to attend. So we’ve made it easy: here’s all you need to know about marriage licenses and the requirements that come with getting hitched in Florida.

  • What it costs: $93.50. The price drops to $61 if both parties take a premarital prep course from a registered provider.
  • When to get one: At least three days before the wedding. The three-day waiting period is waived after prep course completion, or if both parties are out-of-state residents. The license is valid for 60 days anywhere in Florida.
  • How and where to get one: Apply together in person at the Clerk of Courts office for your county of residence: Clay County Clerk of Courts, 825 N. Orange Ave., Green Cove Springs, (269-6302) Duval County Clerk of Courts, 501 W. Adams St., Jacksonville, (255-2000) Nassau County Clerk of Courts, 76347 Veteran’s Way, Suite 456, Yulee, (548-4600) St. Johns County Clerk of Courts, 4010 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, (819-3600)
  • What you need: Valid photo ID, Social Security card (for U.S. residents), passport or alien registration number (for non-U.S. residents) and premarital prep course certificate of completion.
  • Special considerations: Under 16? You’ll need a court order. Under 18? You’ll need written parental consent from both parents, or the parent with sole custody.
  • Married before? Know the exact date that the previous marriage ended. If within the last 60 days, bring proof of dissolution. This is not necessary for Clay County, or for Nassau County if it’s within 30 days.

Changing your name?

  • Obtain certified copies of marriage certificate from Clerk of Court ($2-$3 per copy).
  • Visit the DMV in person with a certified copy of the marriage certificate and originals of documents proving identity, Social Security number and residential address. The fee for a new license is $25. Be prepared for a new photo.
  • To change your name with the Social Security Administration, get the SS-5 form at the nearest SS office or download at
  • Take a certified copy of the marriage license and a photo ID to your bank.
  • Call your county’s supervisor of elections office and request a name change form.
  • Even if you keep your name, it’s helpful to have at least one form of ID with your spouse’s name—just in case.
No Comments Yet

Comments are closed

Get In Touch

1261 King St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
(904) 389-3622
FAX: (904) 389-3628

Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30AM - 5:30PM




Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
Load More